Another step towards the start of works for the construction of line 4 of the Athens Metro took place on Tuesday night as the relevant contract was signed by the company "Attiko Metro SA" and the association of companies "J&P AVAX SA". - GHELLA SpA - ALSTOM Transport SA ", at the Alsos Veikou Theater, in the presence of the Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and the Minister of Infrastructure and Transport Costas Karamanlis.
It is recalled that in December 2019 the process of checking the sub-files of Supporting Documents and Technical Offer was restarted, which had been stopped for several years. After new appeals, the arguments of Attiko Metro were finally justified in the CoC and thus the opening of the financial offers proceeded while all the legal issues that were raised for the contracting of the Precursor Works were resolved.
The preliminary works concern the relocation of networks of Public Benefit Organizations in all the areas where the metro stations and the wells will be made, traffic studies and detours. The procedures have already started and the first construction sites will be installed in the summer.
What is happening with the station in Exarchia
"All these actions took place within 23 months and in the midst of a pandemic," said Mr. Karamanlis and thanked the management and employees of Attiko Metro, while referring to the station that will be built in Exarchia. "The New Democracy Government did not change the plan," said the Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, explaining that "the Exarcheia station was in the square from the beginning according to the plan, handed over by SYRIZA."
"For us, there are no neighborhoods in Athens that we will leave in the dim light and there are definitely no avatas" Mr. Karamanlis repeated and pointed out that "in the past, in other areas there were reactions and now those who reacted have been left without a subway and" strike their head against the wall ”». The Minister of Infrastructure and Transport assured "every thinking citizen that he will not let this happen in any other neighborhood of the city". "The design of line 4 is a given, it is the one we received from the previous government and it is a given that this is exactly how we will proceed with its implementation," he clarified and added that "the Prime Minister himself has instructed us to proceed, ignoring any political costs.
The technical elements of the project
The first section of Line 4 of the Metro "Alsos Veikou-Goudi", is designed to serve many densely populated areas of downtown Athens. With the construction of four new stations (Exarchia, Akadimia, Kolonaki, Evangelismos) from the ever-increasing demand of the passenger public and especially the station of the Constitution.
Line 4 will serve many important buildings and facilities, such as hospitals, the Courts, the National Technical University of Athens, the National Archaeological Museum, the Ministry of Culture, the Law School of EKPA, the Benaki Museum (Koumbari building ), the British Council, the Campus. It will be connected to the existing Metro Lines with two response stations ((University / Academy, Evangelismos).
Metro Line 4 will extend in a length of about 13 km from the Veikos Grove in Galatsi to Goudi, within the Municipalities of Athens, Galatsi, Kaisariani and Zografou. It will include 15 new stations, with their ventilation wells: Veikos Grove, Galatsi, Elikonos, Kypseli, Courts, Alexandra, Exarchia, Akadimia, Kolonaki, Evangelismos, Kaisariani, Panepistimioupoli, Zografou, Ilisia, Goudi.
A new Operation Control Center (KEL) for Line 4 will also be constructed, with a view to integrating and controlling the operation of Lines 1, 2, 3, as well as future new automatic lines and the Tram, as well as a new building for maintenance and repairs of new trains, which will be located in an available space at the Sepolia depot. Finally, two line terminals will be constructed before Alsos Veikou Station (below Veikou Avenue) and after Goudi Station (below Katehaki Avenue), for the deposition of new trains, their cleaning and maintenance.
Along Line 4, nine intermediate wells or terminals are foreseen, ie the wells EYDAP, Veikou - Laundry - Maintenance, Library, Evangelism Branch, Formionos, Near East, Justice, TBM Katehaki, GNA. The main tunnel in the whole project will be double track, with a minimum internal diameter of 8,48 m, with a total length of approximately 10.144 m and will be constructed with at least two new TBM machines (Tunnel Boring Machine), ie the well-known "subway" ”) Full-face cutting.
The remaining sections consist of underground drilling tunnels with conventional mechanical means of single track, variable cross section and triple track. The project also includes the required rolling stock: 20 automatic trains without a driver, as well as all the required electromechanical and railway systems for the operation of the Line.
Object of the contract and budget and duration of the project
The object of the contract is the elaboration of the final study and the implementation study, the construction of the civil engineering works, the supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the electromechanical and railway equipment, the maintenance of the project, the training of the personnel and the supply of spare parts of Line 4 of the Metro, Section A "Veikos - Goudi Grove".
The contract price of the project is approximately 1,2 billion euros plus VAT with funding from the NSRF and the projected duration of the project is 8 years.
1. Veikou Grove: Veikou Station is located below Omorfokklisias Avenue (Veikou) at the height of Tralleon Street and is a terminal.
2. Galatsi: Galatsi station is located below Omorfokklisias Avenue (Veikou) and on its continuation, Ag. Glykerias.
3. Elikonos: Elikonos station is located at the junction of Agias Glykerias and Parnithos streets below Elikonos hill, in a green area - playground.
4. Kypseli: Kypseli station is located on the southeast side of Kanari Square, from Kypselis Street to Velvendou Street.
5. Courts: The Courts station is located west of the Courts complex, at the junction of Evelpidon and Moustoxydi streets.
6. Alexandras: Alexandra station is located underground, diagonally on the axis of Alexandra Avenue, at the height of Moustoxydi Street.
7. Exarchia: Exarchia station is located on Exarchia square, at the junction of Stournari and Sp. Trikoupi streets.
8. Akadimia: The "Akadimia" station is located below Akadimias Street, at the height between Ippokratous and Sina streets, in the area of the "Trilogy" buildings, between the main building of the University of Athens and the cultural center of the Municipality of Athens. It is an important response station with a direct underground connection to the "University" station on Line 2.
9. Kolonaki: Kolonaki station is located on Filiki Etaireia square, known as Kolonaki square, at the junction of Skoufa, Patriarchou Ioakeim, Kapsali, Koumbari, and Kanari streets.
10. Evangelismos: The station is located below the park of Rizari, parallel to Rizari Street and at an angle of about 60 degrees with the existing station Evangelismos of Line 3.
11. Kaisariani: Kaisariani station is located on Ethnikis Antistaseos Avenue at the height of Vassileos Alexandrou Avenue and between Ymittou and John Kennedy streets.
12. University Campus: The University Campus station is located in the Municipality of Kaisariani, north of the internal highway of the University area.
13. Ilisia: Ilisia station is located in Ano Ilisia.
14. Zografou: The station is constructed underground along the street C 'Orini Taxiarchias, with the well of an open trench on Alexandri square (also known as Gardenias square), at the junction of G. Zografou and C' Orini Taxiarchias streets with Leo . Alexandrou Papagou. It is manufactured by the method of underground drilling with conventional mechanical means.
15. Goudi: Goudi station is located below Loch Street. Spiliopoulou, occupying part of Eleftherias Square.
Environmental benefits and new technologies
In total, it is estimated that Line 4 will carry about 340.000 passengers per day on the Metro, while car travel is expected to decrease by approximately 53.000 per day and carbon dioxide emissions are estimated to decrease by 318 tons / day.
The specifications for Line 4 follow new standards and incorporate new technologies, as many requirements and procedures have changed based on experience from previous projects.
In summary, some key upgrades and improvements are:
- Line with driverless trains.
- Trains from environmentally friendly and almost completely recyclable materials, with super automatic and intelligent operating systems.
- Prediction of regenerative energy return of the train brake.
- Advanced automatic control systems of all electromechanical and railway systems
- Cyber security predictions in the operation of trains and systems.
- Advanced communications and passenger service systems.
The application of the Building Information Modeling model - the so-called BIM - starts from Line 4 of the Metro in Greece. An innovative platform, supported by the Commission, but also part of the Recovery Fund reforms. It covers the gap between the designer and the builder of the project, contributing to the saving of significant resources in terms of the final cost of the projects, which is also one of the most important problems in Greece.