U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said Thursday that the Biden administration would take further action against Chinese telecom company Huawei if necessary, following pressure from some Republicans in Congress to do more.
Washington says Huawei poses a national security risk on a number of issues and is pushing hard for other countries not to use the Chinese company's equipment in next-generation 5G networks. The United States has cited Huawei's relationship with the Chinese government and armed forces, with Washington saying it makes Huawei vulnerable to "pressure from the Chinese government to engage in espionage."
In an interview with Reuters, Raymondo was asked about Huawei and said she had told Republican lawmakers in January that "I will not be lenient and now there is proof - we were not lenient. "They do not have to worry."
The government of former President Donald Trump added Huawei to the US blacklist in May 2019. Raimondo said the list "is already an all-powerful tool in our toolbox and we will use it to the best of our ability to protect our national security." USA".
She added: "Will we do more? If necessary, yes ".
Huawei declined to comment on Raimondo's statements.
The Chinese company had announced in November 2020 that it was selling its smart phone division, Honor Device Co., to a consortium of more than thirty dealers and companies promoting its products. Last month, a group of 14 Republicans in the House of Representatives asked the US Department of Commerce to include Honor in the US blacklist.
Republican lawmakers said Honor was set up "to circumvent export control policies."
Raimondo pointed out that the Ministry of Commerce continues to add other companies to the black list.
Five other Chinese companies were involved in June, which, according to the same ministry, were involved in forced labor by Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in Xinjiang Autonomous Region.
"We continue to work to control our exports," Raimondo said.