The Undersecretary of Culture and Sports, responsible for of Culture, Nikolas Giatromanolakis and the Deputy Minister of Health, in charge of mental health issues and addictions, Zoe Rapti.
This is a project included by the Ministry of Culture and Sports in the National Recovery Plan "Greece 2.0" funded by the European Recovery Fund, with a total budget of 10 million euros and a horizon of implementation within the next three years.
The program is based on the recognition - now recognized by organizations such as the World Health Organization - that the arts have a beneficial effect on the mental health of people who manage dementia, depression, addiction, mental trauma, etc., and that participating in them brings positive results at the individual and social level.
With the Memorandum of Cooperation, the Ministry of Culture and Sports and the Ministry of Health lay the foundations for multilevel cooperation, which is structured in 3 main pillars:
1. the training of cultural workers and mental health professionals on cultural prescribing, the development and institutionalization of practices and the conduct of relevant research projects
2. in the design and implementation of cultural prescribing programs
3. to inform and raise awareness of the general population, mental health organizations, as well as the artistic and cultural institutions for the development of participatory art programs in mental health and to invite them through announcements for the development of such actions
Indicatively, actions and initiatives that are planned to be implemented in the framework of the Memorandum of Cooperation, concern:
- the organization and implementation of complex multidisciplinary actions for mental health providers that will include cultural and educational activities for mental health professionals and recipients, with a view to using art as a tool for prevention, management, treatment and evaluation
- the design and implementation of cultural activities and programs for children and adolescents, as well as their families / carers and professionals active in the fields of education or treatment of children and adolescents, as a means of education, awareness, information and expression on mental health
- the development of programs and actions that utilize different types of art, with the aim of discharging the workload (Burnout) of mental health professionals
- the implementation of training programs and seminars on the use of the arts as a tool for the diagnosis, prevention, management, treatment and evaluation of mental disorders and as a means of improving mental health
- the inclusion of cultural activities as a fixed service in the annual program of the respective mental health institution
- the participation of mental health service recipients in learning and training programs in different types of arts implemented by the Ministry of Culture and Sports
- the development of participatory art and artistic participation programs in everyday life in the field of mental health services, mental health recipients and their families
- the co-planning between cultural and mental health research programs so that there are data and measurable results in Greece