Roger Federer appeared optimistic about his quick return to the field in his statements during an event of his central sponsor in Zurich.
The Swiss tennis champion, a few weeks after the operation he had to do to deal with the knee problem that has plagued him throughout the last year, stressed that the… difficult times are over.
"I am doing very well. The restoration is done step by step. The worst is behind me and I look forward to what comes. When you recover from an injury, every day is better. And so it is a very exciting period, "said the winner of 20 Grand Slam tournaments, but did not limit his full return. "It will take a little more patience," he said.
This year, Federer left Roland Garros and lost in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon to Poland's Hubert Hurkacs 6-3, 7-6 (7/4), 6-0.
The 40-year-old champion is one of the protagonists of the "Laver Cup", a team tournament in which six of the best European tennis players participate, against six athletes from the rest of the world. The 2021 version starts on Friday (24/09) in Boston and will last until Sunday (2609) but without his own participation.
"It hurts a lot… I knew that at some point I could not participate, but I did not think it would be this year. "One of my goals is to really get back into the tournament next year in London and I hope to play in places like the O2 Arena," Federer concluded.